One of the most frequent sayings of Jesus Christ was these 3 words “Come follow me.” Some, like Peter and John, left everything and followed Jesus. Others didn’t, even when individually asked.
Here’s some reasons why people decided not to follow Jesus when He was on earth, and reasons why people still decide to not follow Him today.
- They were looking in the wrong place (like Twitter :))
- They only followed for the food and the miracles (Matthew 14:13)
- The price is considered too high – “Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.” Luke 9:23
- They prefer their wealth and comforts of life – “Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”Mark 10:21
- They didn’t understand Jesus’ teachings – “Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?…66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more” John 6:60 & 66
- They didn’t realise who Jesus was and that He has what they are seeking for; that He offered eternal life –“But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” John 6:68 – 69
For me, I don’t understand why people choose a life without Jesus Christ, yet many do choose this.
Can you think of other reasons people choose not to follow Jesus? Share them in the comments below.